[This page is under active development. Content may be unfinished or inaccurate.]
Before Contest Day
Students: You have one big job.
- Your coach will guide you on this. It will probably involve trying out past contests.
- Note: Unlike for other contests, Blaine posts its past results publicly. So if, for example, you take the 2012 individual round for practice and you score 10/30, you can see where that ranks. (Hint: Higher than you think.)
- Be as familiar as you can with the rules, strategies, and formats.
- Fill out the permission slip! Look for the appropriate file (by grade) on the Permission Slips page.
- Help your student practice They will need your proctoring help on the Mental Math and they will need your help to budget time for practicing prior-year contests.
- Plan for transportation and note meeting times and places Your student needs to get to the Blaine High School gym at 8am on the morning of the contest.
- Official address of the site: 1055 H Street in Blaine, WA 98230. Your GPS might give a better location if you punch in “Borderite Way, Blaine WA”.
- Sometimes, but not always, school bus transportation is arranged by the Math Club. (For Blaine 2016, yes, there is a bus.)
- If it is offered, the bus departs MP at 6:30AM and gets to the contest by 8:00AM. The bus then leaves after the awards and is scheduled to arrive at back at MP at 5:00PM. Riding the bus (if it is offered) is optional.
- Plan to volunteer
- As with most contests, there are two types of roles: Event Volunteer and Chaperone.
- We need one Chaperone per team of 3 or 4.
- We should have at least one Event Volunteer per team as well (to proctor or help score papers).
- Proctoring at Blaine is actually pretty straightforward. Usually there are enough proctors so that you will have a co-proctor in the room, which makes things even easier.
- Plan lunch
- Pizza is available by the slice for preorder, on the morning of the contest — you get a slice of pizza, chips, and a drink for $5.
- You can also order from Subway by preorder.
Morning of Contest Day
- Required: pencils, calculator
Before 6:30AM: Students taking the bus should arrive at Meridian Park parking lot
6:30AM: Bus leaves Meridian Park
8:00AM: Team meets at Blaine High School Gym